Thursday, May 31, 2018

More Than Enough

It's been a long while since I've come to this page. I haven't been inspired to do so until very recently, when I read a little something written by a young man that gave me great pause. It follows, without attribution as I'm taking a liberty I hope he won't mind.

Why I'm not enough

Because I'm broke
Because I have no hope
Because I don't have a car
And there's a low balance on m ventra card
Because I've messed up my education
Because I've always enjoyed regurgitation
Because I'm difficult and complicated
And I'm easily aggravated
Because I'm too kind and too weak
Cause I love, then I weep
Because I think, then get sad
Then I drink and smoke grass
There's easily more reasons
There's easily many more feelings
I'm never enough, and never will be

My mind won't change, so don't come near me

My heart was rendered as I read this, knowing this feeling, returning to this time with the comfort and ease of a worn sweater, made just for me, warm and familiar. It's taken me a few days of reading and re-reading to come here with this.

Sweet soul, you couldn't be more, and don't need to be, not now or ever. You are quite right, just right, and more than enough.
You are on the precipice
You are walk-and-bike-rich!
Your balance, high and low, is temporary, don't worry
Your education a marathon, get up, keep running
Like the the hinge upon
Which all else rests
You are interesting and complicated
And unexpected
Your kindness a strength, a super-power, I'd say
Your soft heart tolls in wait at your finest hour
Think, yes, hold sadness for a time
But don't waste yourself on herb and wine
There are so many reasons
You are precious, fine, and good
Worth all the time in the wide, wide world
You cannot be more, understood. It's ok. You are quite right, just right, and more than enough.

XO, you know who you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment