Wednesday, October 31, 2012

You Are My Baby, Lauren

And Here's Why~


You're so cooperative when I want to take your picture.
You always have been.
 It's nice to see you're not outgrowing some of your better qualities.




You're all heart.


And no matter how you try to hide it, it shows.
You can be a little scary. I admire that in a person.


You can be a little bossy and controlling. I dig that, too.










You are an optimist! That'll serve you well in life, I promise.



You are a hugger!
 Mostly other people.






But I like it, nonetheless.
















You are a good and kind daughter.


Don't ever underestimate what a great quality that is in a person. It matters immensely.




You are a nurturing person. That, too, will serve you well in life, so long as you remember to take as good care of yourself as you do others.






You are a thinker.




AND a doer.
Even helping to do what others need done.

I'm so grateful to have you in my life, not just because I love who you are, but I love the example you provide my (other) babies.


You're a bit of a goofball.

I am too.




And a sunshine girl.

(This is no reason to move to California. Ever.)





 You are a true and loyal friend.


And not just when it's easy.


And not just to some, but to all.




You wear a bang well.













Always have.









Not everyone can, so that's on the list.




Same goes for big sunglasses.  It's not always a good look, but you pull it off swimmingly. (Get it? Swimmingly? The picture is... Never mind.)



You puzzle. Standing up. Because you can't walk by without looking.



I do that too, and none of my (other) children do, so I'm so glad to have at least one child with this mania.




You've got talent and you're not afraid to put it on display. That puts you light years ahead of most people I know, adult or otherwise.


It makes me so proud!



You didn't become my baby overnight, of course.
 (Yes you did, because you were so stinkin' cute from the get-go.)



I have watched you grow up.



And I've been inspired by your strength.

And overjoyed at the (pretty in pink) person you have always been.
And thrilled at the whimsy that accompanies your gravitas. (Yes. I went there.)

And after all these years I am soul-satisfied to know that my voice of reason and good conscience will always, always be in your head.


I'm sure you're excited about that last part, too.

And if you aren't now, you will be some day, promise.









As you know, in our culture - a culture we've shared with you all these years - your fifteenth birthday marks your passage from a time of childhood into young adulthood. It's an old tradition and way back in the day would have meant you'd be good to go on marriage and children.  I'm NOT by any means suggesting we stick with the entire tradition. (In fact, it would be great with me if you would usher in an era of 'new cool' by not dating at all until college. Or after college. Whatever. I'm just saying.)

But, in keeping with the basic custom, I do wish you every blessing on your birthday, your 'quince'. The next years will bring greater adventures and challenges in life. Some won't be easy, and they won't be the ones you're expecting. That's o.k. You've got everything it takes to overcome any obstacle. And just know that if ever you are in doubt, or need an extra push -- or a HUG, even -- to get you through, you can count on me. I will always be there.

Because, lovely Lauren, you are my baby.

Happy Birthday.

C.

No comments:

Post a Comment