Monday, April 19, 2010

What?

Have you seen the version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with Johnnie Depp as Willie Wonka? It's a little odd, but then the original is odd too and both are equally enjoyable. One of my favorite bits in the movie is Wonka's response to a certain child's persistent inquires - many of which are logical, but terribly annoying. Depp's virtuoso "What? You're mumbling. I can't hear you!" is at once juvenile and genius. I love it for it's complete disregard for what's right and proper. So I'm using it all the time now.

The furnace is leaking again.

"What?" (straining)


Mommy, a boy asked me 'out'.

"You're mumbling." (absent minded look)


I've lost 8 lbs. How about you?

"Huh? I can't hear you!" (loudly, confused)


We need more volunteers.

"WHAT??" (hand cupped behind ear)


It might be the onset of menopause.

"STOP MUMBLING! I CAN'T UNDERSTAND A WORD YOU'RE SAYING." (exasperated, but completely rational and NOT behaving like an olympic gold medalist in the bipolar competition)


See? It's an all-purpose answer. Now you try.

No comments:

Post a Comment